Welcome To Our Department
The HOD’s Welcome Address
Welcome to the Department of Biochemistry and Molecular Biology, Obafemi Awolowo University Ile-Ife.Biochemistry and Molecular Biology together form the bedrock of all other life science disciplines. These are dynamic fields and its more recent frontiers in proteomics, genomics, lipidomics, bioinformatics and biotechnology require physical and mathematical approaches in order to arrive at a full understanding of the biological phenomenal.
To this end, the Department of Biochemistry and Molecular Biology at the Obafemi Awolowo University, Ile-Ife creates a scholarly environment armed with a culture of sound teaching and cutting-edge research to produce graduates who are able to compete with their peers anywhere in the world, men and women with innovative minds proffering solutions to issues of national and global importance in medicine, pharmacy, agriculture, organic chemistry and allied fields. Our mission is to create an enabling environment for our students congruent with modern technologies and global best practices for teaching and cutting-edge research in Biochemistry and Molecular Biology. Our core objectives are:
- to provide a good background in physical, biological and mathematical sciences for each student;
- to provide a sound and all-round education in the basic science of Biochemistry up to the bachelor’s degree level;
- to make students aware of the relevance of Biochemistry in various ways and areas in meeting the manpower needs of the country and the world at large;
- to provide appropriate courses for students from various Faculties-Science, Pharmacy, Education, Technology, Health Sciences, Agriculture, who require a working knowledge of Biochemistry; and
- to provide specialized training in Biochemistry at higher degree levels.
Once again, I welcome you to the exciting world of Biochemistry and Molecular Biology.
Prof. I. O. Adewale
Head of Department